Our Paducah car accident attorney knows victims of car accidents suffer a great deal of both physical and emotional pain. If you sustained injury from an automobile accident, you are probably experiencing financial hardship due to loss of wages as well as medical debt.
Our injury attorneys help clients recover lost compensation that resulted from being unable to work. If you’ve been injured in a car accident, you need a Paducah car accident attorney to help you fight for your rights, as well as inform your of your options.
Paducah Car Accident Lawyer
Common Causes of Car Accidents
- Automobile defects including, but not limited to tire tread separation, seat back collapse, suspension defects, faulty breaks, unstable vehicles that rollover, fire or roof crushing in.
- Negligent drivers who exceed the speed limit, fail to signal properly, talk on the phone or text while driving, fail to pay attention to road conditions, fail to maintain vehicles property, who are suffering from fatigue or who are driving under the influence of either alcohol or prescription or illegal drugs, as well as a number of other negligent behaviors.
- Poorly maintained roads that create hazardous conditions, including missing or defective guardrails, improperly designed roadways, rights-of-ways and bridges, potholes and uneven pavement, insufficient signage, uncovered manholes, unlit road medians, ice, road debris, including oil and gravel.
- Automotive product recalls. Domestic and foreign manufacturers must make and sell cars and accessories that are reasonably safe for consumers. The manufacturer is responsible to notify owners of any risks, concerns and recalls. A press release on a company website is not enough. The manufacturer must make every possible effort to locate owners; even owners who have moved, or did not originally register the product correctly.
- Distracted driving has become a common phenomenon. Whether a driver is on their phone or drinking their Starbucks, a driver who isn’t focusing on the road could cause an accident. Distracted drivers commonly rear-end people, especially when a lot of traffic is involved.
Common Injuries Suffered From Car Accidents
Our Paducah car accident lawyer will work to resolve your case, while you focus on your emotional as well as physical recovery. Injuries may include the following:
- Broken bones
- Back injury
- Brain and head injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Severe burns
- Severe lacerations
- Eye injuries
- Fatality of a loved one, either immediately following the accident or as a result of injuries received as a result of the accident
- Talking or texting on the phone
- Failing to pay attention
Common Types of Car Accidents
There are thousands of car accidents every year, most of which occur in urban areas — as many as 64%. Only 36% of car accidents occur in rural areas. Crashes with fixed objects are extremely common, as are accidents involving two or more vehicles, such as the following:
- Car vs. car accidents
- Car vs. truck accidents
- Bus vs. car accidents
- Motorcycle vs. car accidents
- Car accidents with bicycles
- Train vs. car accidents
Determining who caused a car accident between two different types of vehicles can be difficult. Often, your car accident attorney must review laws related to right-of-way.
Collisions with fixed objects as well as other types of wrecks are also common, including:
- Pedestrian collisions
- Wrecks with parked cars
- Animals that run into the road
- Collisions with buildings
You may think that the car driver is at fault when they run into fixed objects or pedestrians. But that isn’t always always the case. When an animal or dangerous road causes an accident, your own insurance company may pick up the cost of your wreck.
Who’s at Fault?
It is sometimes difficult to determine the true cause of a car accident, thereby making it difficult to determine liability. Determining liability in a car accident can be both complex and confusing. That’s why Paducah attorneys Todd Farmer and Sam Wright utilize their experience to best evaluate and then address your situation.
Parties who may be liable for your car accident include the following:
- Driver of another vehicle
- Employer of a driver who was on the clock
- Insurance company
- Insurance company of another driver
- Manufacturer of defective automobile parts
- Designer of a dangerous vehicle
- Seller of a car without proper warnings
- Person or company responsible for maintaining the roadway
- The estate of another driver
- A bar or restaurant that served a drunk driver
- Another party who may have contributed to your accident
Not all car wrecks are caused by the negligence of others and not all drivers are held accountable for their negligence. If you were at fault, or if you were the victim of a hit-and-run accident, then the car accident attorneys at Farmer & Wright may be able to help you collect money that your policy may entitle you to, from your own insurance company.
Fault and liability are different things. One party may be at fault for causing your car accident, but someone else may be legally liable for your financial losses. Legal liability means that a party can be held accountable for financial losses you’ve incurred. Oftentimes, more than one party must be named in a car accident lawsuit. A car accident attorney can help you decide who is at fault and who is therefore liable for your damages.
How Can a Car Accident Lawyer Help You?
- Negotiate the maximum financial compensation you need
- Force manufacturers to make vehicles as well as accessories safer for everyone
- Treat you with the respect you deserve
- Aggressively litigate to protect your right to safety
- Negotiate with insurance companies to seek resolution and compensation that you deserve
- Work with hospitals and physicians to ensure that outstanding patient medical bills are not turned over to a collection agency
- Work to protect you from potential credit problems resulting from collection company actions
- Negotiate liens placed by medical treatment providers
- Negotiate cost reductions to medical treatment providers
- Handle the property damage portion of your claim, as well as ensure collection of compensation for necessary future medical care, rehabilitation, counseling and equipment
Obtaining Compensation After a Car Accident
After you are injured in a car accident, you may be able to recover money from the person or company that caused your losses. You can obtain compensation for the following:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages for those unable to work as a result of the accident
- Pain and suffering for injuries
- Costs related to both rehabilitation and recovery
- Disability or permanent injury you sustain
- Mental anguish as well as emotional suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Disfigurement or permanent scarring
- Property damage
- Any out of pocket expenses you incur
- Punitive damages
If your loved one suffered fatal injuries in a car accident, then you may be able to recover wrongful death damages, such as funeral and burial costs.
The actual amount that you can recover depends on both your losses and the ability of the at fault person to pay. A car accident attorney can help you determine how much to demand from an insurance company or other third party involved in your accident.
What to Do After a Car Accident
- Call 911 as soon as possible
- Go to the nearest emergency room for medical attention, even if you are not experiencing pain at the time of the accident
- File a report with the police, sheriff or highway patrol
- Obtain a copy of the police accident report
- Notify your insurance company of the accident
- Take photographs if you are able
- Do not speak with an insurance claims adjuster or sign anything until you speak with an experienced personal injury lawyer at Farmer & Wright.
Contact Our Kentucky Car Accident Attorney
To obtain assistance with your personal injury claim, contact a car accident attorney at Farmer and Wright, PLLC, today. We can help you receive compensation for your injuries, as well as guide you through the injury claims process.